[DRBD-user] Non persistant root drive ( booting from compactflash rom).

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Wed Mar 2 15:46:36 CET 2005

/ 2005-03-01 14:51:04 -0500
\ Brett Bolen:
> I noticed on a sidebar on the drbd article, that drbd uses
> a directory in /var ( maybe /var/lib/drbd ) for 'meta-data'
> which is used to determine which drive to sync from.

that is drbd 0.6 and before.
drbd 0.7 uses a block device for its meta data.

> We have a system that boots from a compact flash  -- the
> init ram drive is a file that is unzipped to make the root
> file system.  This means that there is no persistant data
> across reboots.
>
> Does this pose a problem for drbd?

no, but for your data (if you use drbd 0.6).
if drbd (or other cluster software) had no persistent meta data,
how could be determined which of the nodes is consistent and up-to-date ?

> We are using this for a ha-nfs -- and use real disks for the nfs
> mounts.

with drbd 0.7 you should be fine, still.

	Lars Ellenberg