[DRBD-user] Does the error "Buffer I/O error on device" mean I damaged something?

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Sun Jun 26 19:52:02 CEST 2005

/ 2005-06-25 12:58:20 -0400
\ Maurice Volaski:
> I didn't think executing vgdisplay on the underlying volume group
> would trip up drbd devices above in secondary state, but apparently it
> does:
>
> Jun 25 12:42:10 [kernel] [37534.990852] Buffer I/O error on device drbd0, logical block 3581840
> Jun 25 12:42:19 [kernel] [37543.505905] drbd1: Not in Primary state, no IO requests allowed
>
> Does it actually mean there could be damage, or it is just trying to
> frighten me into never executing any command whatsoever other
> drbd-specific ones on my device?

it means we protect you from shooting yourself where it might hurt ...
and fail io on a device not in Primary state.

vgscan/vgdisplay and all those lvm tools by default try to scan almost
all devices they can find (whether available or not).
as long as you don't use drbds as "lvm physical volumes" (pvs), you
should filter those out in lvm.conf. even better, restrict the filter to
only those devices you actually use as pvs.