[DRBD-user] Re: [Q] Shrinking the drbd

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Sat Jun 25 10:33:15 CEST 2005

/ 2005-06-25 03:44:03 -0400
\ Maurice Volaski:
> >But now I have to shrink one. That's more complicated. The question
> >is whether drbd resize will know to use the filesystem's size, which
> >is correct, or the lvm size, which, since it hasn't been reduced yet,
> >is wrong? If it picks the wrong one, should I give it the
> >filesystem's exact size (fdisk -s device)?
>
> The way I did it was to create the logical volume, drbd device and
> filesystem in the correct size on the second system with it being
> unconnected. I used fdisk -s to find out filesystem's corrected
> (shrunken) size (in K). That means that the size parameter to pass to
> drbdsetup's resize is that size + exactly 128 MB (in K).

fdisk -s gives you the size of the partition,
not the "filesystems's exact size",
so it will give you the size of drbd,
no hint of where to shrink to.
but you typically tell the "resize filesystem" operation,
to which size you want to resize to. then, that should be the size.

btw, you do NOT want to resize a drbd with internal meta data.
really.
use external meta data (that is easy on lvm).