[DRBD-user] Unable to create directories

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Fri Jun 17 16:06:12 CEST 2005

Sherman Lambert wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I seem to have an odd problem.  On my drbd volume I cannot create a
> directory.  I can create all the files I want, just no directories.

do the files contain any data? do the files contain the same data as you
tried to put in them?
are there any messages in /var/log/messages or dmesg after you run the
mkdir?

> [root at cmdb1 html]# mkdir drbdtest
> mkdir: cannot create directory `drbdtest': Input/output error
>
> I have played with the permissions and that does not seem to be the
> problem.  A couple weeks ago I was creating directories just as would be
> expected.  The only other clue that there is something wrong is that
> when I do a "cat /dev/drbd0" on the primary disk it goes bezerk,
> appearing to give me a text dump of the entire volume.

How is that bezerk? I would expect "cat /dev/drbd0" to give a 'text dump of
the entire volume'.

> On the secondary
> disk it will give me :
>
> [root at cmdb2 sherman]# cat /dev/drbd0
> cat: /dev/drbd0: Input/output error

IIRC with 0.7.X they have made the secondary so it will not let you read
from it.

> In drbdadm everything seems fine.
>
> Running Information:
> drbd 0.7.10
> Redhat Linux 3.0ES
> kernal 2.4-21-32.0.1-el-smp
> Heartbeat 1.2.3
>
> Anybody have some suggestions?

Have you checked the logs (/var/log/messages) on both machines to see if
there are any faults the kernel is having with the lower level devices? When
I got a raid controller ~1.5 years ago it's firmware could not even handle
letting me create a filesystem on it, after updating the FW I could create a
file system but it took a long time, checking logs found one of the drives
to be faulting badly.

--
Todd Denniston