[DRBD-user] Needed a information...

Diego Julian Remolina dijuremo at ibb.gatech.edu
Wed Jun 8 15:58:54 CEST 2005

It is NOT necessary to have a NAS or SAN to use drbd.

You need two machines with network cards, each machine should have its own
storage.

If you are using external storage such as scsi attached raid arrays, SAN or NAS,
then each machine should have its own array or at least its own partition of
that external storage. If you can somehow share half your external storage array
(like in dual connect scsi arrays) for one computer and the other half for the
other computer, then drbd would mirror half the array to the other half going
through the computers first.

Similar hardware should be prefered if not identical.  Drbd uses a network
connection to mirror the file system.  The file system will be only mounted in
one machine at a time.  You cannot have the file system being mounted on the
secondary (not even read only).

I was not able to find any recommendations on mininum hardware on the drbd faq,
is there anybody on the list that knows about a link with this information?
Could this be added to the drbd website faqs?

Diego