[DRBD-user] Why is metadata size fixed at 128M ?

paddy paddy at panici.net
Thu Jun 2 18:05:49 CEST 2005

Hi,

I'm just looking at drbd0.7 on sarge, which I must say was an easy
install.  Two thoughts there:

1) I think I had to apt-get install dpatch 'by hand' to get it to build

2) I ran into an amusing consequence when I missed the fact that the
initial sync hadn't happened (due to a 'stray' firewall :) and then
tried to move the primary node, resulting in a halt :)  Not that this
would have happenned if I'd read the docs properly, but I didn't even
notice the commandline run-through further down the page, until I ran
into problems :)

The question thats bothering me is in the subject line:

	Why is the metadata size fixed 128MB ?

I'd really like to get an idea of the layout and function of the
metadata.

I've started to read the source, but I'm making slow progress.

On a broader note, drbd looks like the right solution for me
(roughly: two node failover for availability), but I'm interested
to hear any comparisons people would care to offer with the other
linux-based *nbd and clustered lvm solutions.

Regards,
Paddy
--
Perl 6 will give you the big knob. -- Larry Wall