[DRBD-user] Newbie: IDE Flush, system halt when drbdadm Primary all

Jason W. Allen jallen at mpgis.net
Fri Jul 29 19:17:33 CEST 2005

I've finally seen the error of my ways, so after 15 years of being a Windows
Admin, I've been seduced by the light side...

I've only been working with Linux for a week now, so please bear with me.

I have a lab setup of two virgin Debian Sarge systems.  I believe I was
successful in getting drbd to load and run yesterday, but it was only
running 4 K/s in the sync and only ever got to .6% done (even overnight).
So I decided to rebuild my computers from the ground up and see if that
changed anything.  One the computer I want as the primary when I run
'drbdadm primary all' it returns:

ioctl(,SET_STATE,) failed: Input/Output error
Local replica is inconsistent (--do-what-I-sya ?)
Command '/sbin/drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 primary' terminated with exit code 21
flushing ide devices: hda
System halted.

Message from syslod2 at localhost at Fri Jul 29 16:49:40 2005 ...
localhost kernel: System halted.
test1/etc/network# hub.c: new USB device 00:1d.1-1, assigned address 2
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
drbd0: Ping Ack did not arrive in time.
drbd0: drbd0_asender [3866]: cstate Connected --> NetworkFailure
drbd0: asender terminated
drbd0: drbd0_receiver [3859]: cstate NetworkFailure --> BrokenPipe
drbd0: short read expecting header on sock: r=-512
drbd0: worker terminated
drbd0: drbd0_receiver [3859]: cstate BrokenPipe --> Unconnected
drbd0: Connection Lost
drbd0: drbd0_receiver [3859]: cstate UnConnected --> WFConnection
hub.c: error resetting hub 2 - disconnecting
usb.c: USB disconnect on device 00:1d.7-3 address 2

At this point the network no longer works etc.

I thought it may be a fluke, so I reinstalled the entire system from scratch
and I get the exact same problem.  I have outlined the below steps, because
I really have no idea where to start looking, since I'm not quite sure what
I have done so far :-)

1. Build System from Debian Sarge iso Disk 1
2. # apt-get install vim ssh module-assistant dpatch kernel-headers-2.4.27-2
kernel-headers-2.4.27-2-386 drbd0.7-module-source drbd0.7-utils
3. edit /etc/network/interfaces to assign static IP to my NIC
4. # m-a prepare
5. # m-a a-i drbd0.7-module-source
6. edit /etc/drbd.conf:

"    global {
        minor-count 5
      }

      resource r0 {
        protocol C;
        incon-degr-cmd "halt -f";

        on test1 {
          device /dev/drbd0;
          disk /dev/sda2;
          address 192.168.1.39:7789;
          meta-disk internal;
        }

        on test2 {
          device /dev/drbd0;
          disk /dev/hda2;
          address 192.168.1.40:7789;
          meta-disk internal;
        }
      }
"

7. # scp /etc/drbd.conf 192.168.1.40:/etc/drbd.conf
8. # /etc/init.d/drbd start
9. # drbdadm primary all

And this is where I get the error.

If I'm doing something wrong, please let me know.  Thanks in advance.

--Jason W. Allen
jallen_at_mpgis_dot_net