[DRBD-user] Constant OOPses with drbd (0.7.6) module insert + linux 2.6 (+ SLOW synching)

Philipp Reisner philipp.reisner at linbit.com
Fri Jan 21 13:46:43 CET 2005

Am Donnerstag, 20. Januar 2005 14:45 schrieb Mixter:
> Hi. I'm using the 'Version: 0.7.6 (api:77)' version of drbd on a linux
> 2.6.7 (debian/ubuntu). Unfortunately, drbd more than occasionally
> crashes on startup when inserting the 'drbd' module
> into the kernel. The only solution are reboots and retries - sometimes
> it works, sometimes not. I've

What do you mean by that ?
It crashes 5 times out of 10 tries ?
Does it crash 10 times out of 10 tries ?
Does it crash 1 times out of 10 tries ?

> attached a kernel oops analysis and an output on fdisk. The oopses are
> occurring on two
> distinct but similar machines independently (both primary and slave),
> also already with a
> different partitioning (hda3 and hda4 are both drbd devices),
> different sync protocol, etc.
>
> This oops is really my only hint, nothing more in dmesg or in the
> logs, when modprobing
> drbd. Another thing is that the initial syncing is VERY VERY slow
> (about 200-500 bytes/s),
> although all HDD performance results seem ok (bonnie++ result also
> attached at the very bottom).
>
> Please - what might be going on?? Is this a known bug, and/or what
> should I do further?

Is the kernel from the distribution ?
Is it self compiled ?

The OOPS is very obsucre, no trace of DRBD's initailizing...
Probabely you compiled to module for UP and the kernel is
SMP or something else in this obsucrity level :)

-Philipp