[DRBD-user] Fedora Core 3, drbd 0.7.6 : minor_count argument keeps module from loading; IS THERE a way around 128MB meta min ?

BNeu proclivity76 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 6 01:16:28 CET 2005

I've follwed the directions as best I could, although the make clean all
with the 'CC=gcc32' argument caused errors, and when running set |grep
CC, CC=gcc32 anyway, so I was HOPING that wasn't needed.

Anyway, I believe that the make and install were successful.

I configured my /etc/drbd.conf, and ran /etc/init.d/drbd start.  I was
getting errors, so I dug into the script and decided to try to load the
module manually.  The following happens when using the script's way of
loadting drbd.

[root at barbrady ~]# modprobe -s drbd minor_count=100663449
[root at barbrady ~]# lsmod |grep drbd
[root at barbrady ~]#

[root at barbrady ~]# modprobe -s drbd
[root at barbrady ~]# lsmod |grep drbd
drbd                  162528  0
[root at barbrady ~]#

So now running this

[root at barbrady ~]# /etc/init.d/drbd start
Starting DRBD resources:    ioctl(,SET_DISK_CONFIG,) failed: Invalid
argument
Meta device too small.

My DRBD device is only 50MB.  I can't imagine 128 MB of data being
required to handle that.  I also don't have any partitions left to
allocate to the module, so I would have to repartition the servers and
that really doesn't sound too great right now.