FW: [DRBD-user] Unable to create drbd disk

Alex Vrenios alex at DSRLab.com
Mon Feb 28 17:40:28 CET 2005

Anthony,

I too am just getting into the depths of DRBD, on RH9 at home, and on RH EL,
AS 3 at work. We created a 3G partition for /dev/drbd0 and got the same
error message. It seems the documentation for the expanded version of this
command was lost along with some other content at the "new" DRBD site. A
temporary version is available at

http://wiki.linux-ha.org/RecentChanges

Back to your question, the error message is trying to tell you that you must
supply a "meta data" partition and an "index" along with the operands that
you listed in your post (above). Some of this meta data is described in the
man page for drbdsetup that comes with 0.7.10, but the examples at the
bottom of it are still in the "old" format. I guessed at the index value.

I have a 3G partition for DRBD and a 1G partition for the "meta data" on the
same 4G drive that is dedicated to DRBD use. I used

   root# drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 disk /dev/hdd1 /dev/hdd2 1
   root# mkfs -b 3072 /dev/drbd0
   root# mkdir /data
   root# chmod 777 /data

I added

   mount /dev/drbd0 /data
   /etc/init.d/drbd start

to my /etc/rc.d/rc.local script and in the process of making my way through
the woods :)

I hope this helps you,

Alex