[DRBD-user] how to avoid Stale NFS file handle with multiple drbds?

Raoul Borenius raoul at sgs.dfn.de
Tue Dec 13 09:29:16 CET 2005

On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 10:27:36AM -0500, Todd Denniston wrote:

> >>If it looks like the drbd failover worked, that is, the /var/lib/nfs
> >>symlink was pointed to drbd0, and drbd0 was there before nfs started.. it
> >>may be something else that is causing stales during failover.
> >

> Just for clarification:
> You indicate you use a softlink to put the drbd0 filesystem in place of
> /var/lib/nfs, but above you mount drbd0 at /var/lib/nfs ... which is it,
> and is it the same on BOTH systems?

Both nodes are always setup identical. I just tried two different setups:

1.) the 'simple' setup with only one drbd as described in
    http://linux-ha.org/DRBD_2fNFS, i.e. with a symlink from /var/lib/nfs
    to the drbd-volume. Everything works perfectly, no errors on failover.

2.) a setup without symlink but /var/lib/nfs as /dev/drbd0 and /srv/nfs/mail
    as /dev/drbd1. I get stale nfs errors during failover.

> I have several exports, from different drbd managed partitions, with a
> softlink /var/lib/nfs -> /nfsstate/var/lib/nfs where nfsstate is my drbd0
> which until recently did not have problems with stale nfs ... WAIT A
> MINUTE, now I know why I was seeing stale nfs handles the last time I fell
> over: after doing an `ls -l /var/lib/nfs`, I see that for some reason the
> systems have blown away my softlinks and replaced with new boot disk
> resident directories, must fix. Thanks for the wake up.

Could you send me your /etc/drbd.conf and /etc/ha.d/haresources?
I'm not sure if you have the setup that I would like to have.