[DRBD-user] Drbd 0.7.12 - Buffer I/O error on device drbd0

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Fri Aug 26 16:18:20 CEST 2005

/ 2005-08-26 10:05:03 -0400
\ Poyner, Brandon:
> > A solution is to have a line excluding drbd from lvm.conf, example:
> >
> > filter = [ "r/drbd/", "a/.*/" ]
>
> Actually that doesn't prevent the kernel error when running 'echo
> showlabels | nash'.  It only stops errors from lvm commands such as
> vgscan.
>
> To me I/O can mean read or write.  Could the error message be made a bit
> more clear that a read request is being made?  It's worth panicing if I
> see a drbd write error on the secondary.  Perhaps something like this.

definetely not. IO means read _and_ write. both are not allowed.

if you see this message, it is some application trying to access
/dev/drbd while it is in secondary state.

this message is never logged for drbd internal requests, those go to the
lower level device, and if such io fails, depending on your config,
a detach or panic will follow... you for sure will notice.