[DRBD-user] Question about Activity Log

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Mon Sep 20 00:29:52 CEST 2004

/ 2004-09-14 17:12:19 +0200
\ Benoit.Ropartz at alcatel.fr:
> Hello,
>
> My Primary node (A) crash and Heartbeat activate services on other node
> (B).
>
> DRBD is Primary on B (cs=WFConnection).
>
> When A restart, i see these messages in syslog :
>
> Jan  2 05:59:23 SML_A kernel: drbd3: Found 6 transactions (324 active
> extents) in activity log.
> Jan  2 05:59:23 SML_A kernel: drbd3: Marked additional 131584 KB as
> out-of-sync
>

> When DRBD connection is up, a synchronisation is activate with A as
> SyncTarget and B as
> SyncSource.
>
> It seem that in this situation, DRBD doesn't use AL of node A ??? is it
> true...

when drbd comes up, it recognizes whether it was cleanly shutdown or
crashed last time.
if it crashed, and it has been primary before the crash, it uses the
activity log to mark the corresponding regions dirty (we used to call
them extents, but we will change terminology here, because "extent" is
already a meaningful keyword in the lvm/device-mapper world).

if it was Secondary before the crash, there is no point in useing the
activity log at this time: it was not active.

does that help?

	Lars Ellenberg