[DRBD-user] Slow NFS behaviour (0.7.5)

Jaroslaw Zachwieja grok at warwick.ac.uk
Mon Nov 22 23:47:16 CET 2004

Hello Bernd,

> which kernel are you using? Maybe you already found the thread about nfs
> and 2.4. I started some time ago. With 2.6. drbd was running much faster
> for us, but also even with failover the 2.6.7 was by far too unstable.
> How do you mount the nfs export on your clients? If you will send your
> problem to the NFS maillinglist, you will be first told to use tcp
> mounts ;)

You're going to eat me alive. 2.6.8.1. I know. I'm a cowboy :)

Is the NFS over TCP the way to go then?

> Due to the instability of 2.6.7 we were forced to use 2.4.27 and we
> certainly won't try 2.6.x in the near future on the server again. To
> work around the slowness, we are also forced to risk some (hopefully
> slight) dataloss:
>
> - unsing async NFS exports
> - using DRBD protocol A

I'm mounting sync. I'm afraid that since we need the NFS failover between
the servers, A + async may not be an option for us :/ Our users would eat
us alive.

I've tweaked the network settings for DRBD and disabled ACPI on both
machines. I'm in the process of testing it. If it helps i'll CC the
debriefing here to the list.

Best regards,
--
Jaroslaw Zachwieja