[DRBD-user] Slow NFS behaviour (0.7.5)

Bernd Schubert bernd-schubert at web.de
Mon Nov 22 23:39:59 CET 2004

Hello Jaroslaw,

On Monday 22 November 2004 22:33, Jaroslaw Zachwieja wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I realise this topic has been discussed many times on the mailing list, but
> after 4 days of reading the archives I have not found the answer or even
> suggestion to what may be the problem.

which kernel are you using? Maybe you already found the thread about nfs and
2.4. I started some time ago. With 2.6. drbd was running much faster for us,
but also even with failover the 2.6.7 was by far too unstable.
How do you mount the nfs export on your clients? If you will send your problem
to the NFS maillinglist, you will be first told to use tcp mounts ;)

Due to the instability of 2.6.7 we were forced to use 2.4.27 and we certainly
won't try 2.6.x in the near future on the server again. To work around the
slowness, we are also forced to risk some (hopefully slight) dataloss:

- unsing async NFS exports
- using DRBD protocol A

Hope it helps,
 Bernd

--
Bernd Schubert
Physikalisch Chemisches Institut / Theoretische Chemie
e-mail: bernd.schubert at pci.uni-heidelberg.de