[DRBD-user] Daily crashes with a XFS filesystem on a DRBD 0.7.5 device with 2.6 SMP kernel

Philipp Reisner philipp.reisner at linbit.com
Thu Nov 11 11:35:06 CET 2004

On Thursday 11 November 2004 11:16, Cyril Bouthors wrote:
> I'm experiencing several random crashes a day with my latest DRBD
> configuration.
>
> It's exactly the same as the others (crash free) that I got except
> that the kernel is compiled with SMP support (Hyper Threading).
>
> I'm wondering if anyone is using heavy loaded production NFS server
> with DRBD + XFS + SMP.
>
> Here's the complete configuration I'm using:
>  - DRBD 0.7.5
>  - Linux 2.6.9-1-686-smp (Debian)
>  - XFS over software RAID
>
> This morning I reproduced the crash several times with this simple
> test: make -C /usr/src/linux -j modules
>
> The machine stop responding to ICMP requests after ~20 seconds; the
> same runs just fine if I use an UP kernel.
>
> I've just booted the UP kernel so I'm not sure if the random daily
> crashes has gone away too, I'll let you know.
>
> Most of the time the machine crashes without anything in the logs but
> I had this message last time, I don't know if it's DRBD related. Maybe
> it's another bug:

If I were you I would start to isolate the bug. You are in a very
good starting position, you are able to reproduce the bug within 20
seconds!

Fact 1: It only happens on SMP.

Step 1: Suspect DRBD
  Remove DRBD from the stack, and mount XFS directly on the MD device, and
  try to crash the machine.

Step 2: Suspect XFS.
  Remove XFS from the stack, create an ext3 filesystem where XFS is now,
  mount in on top of DRBD, try to crash the machine.

Please post your findings, I will give you further instructions how to
isolate the problem further...