[DRBD-user] how do i know it works?

Gregory Golin gregorygolin at yahoo.com
Sat May 29 21:10:13 CEST 2004

Hello,

First of all, thank you for coming up with drbd and taking the time to
improve it.

Here's my input.
I have configured two systems, closely following the howto and after
some tweaking was even able to get 'decent' sync speeds - around
50Mb/sec.

Here's my setup:

Two identical servers with the following configuration.
Dual Xeons on a 7501 Westville mobo, 40GB IDE drive (OS), 2 73GB SCSI
drives arranged in a RAID-1 (data) on Adaptec AIC7902 Hostraid
controller, SuSE 8.2
The servers are connected via a dedicated gig-E interface.

Some questions i would like to ask:

How do i know it works? From what i read, its a nono to mount the lower
device on the secondary system. I did it anyway, >:D just to see if
there is anything there. So after sync, yes, there was data. Then i
copied around 250Mb to nb0 on the primary system and waited - nothing.
Remounted /dev/sda1 - and its still empty. Thoughts?

Also, is there a way to watch replication live? Other than cat
/proc/drbd ? I tried tcpdump -i eth1 but its just a mess. One thing i
noticed tho, an obscene number of packets is dropped by the secondary
system. So any ideas in this area are welcome. (iptables is off.)

Notes about the docs:
Tabs in conf files confuse drbd, had to find that out the hard way.
Some docs have dashes in conf file keywords - those dashes arent
relevant anymore.

Thanks again,

--Greg