[DRBD-user] Opteron/Xeon - Kernel 2.4/2.6 setup

Daniel Khan d.khan at ventigo.com
Mon Jun 14 07:51:35 CEST 2004

Hello,

I am thinking of using DRBD in a rather complex environment:

It's a 3 node cluster for a webhosting environment:

node1, node2: Dual AMD Opteron, Kernel 2.6.5 SMP (Gentoo)

node3: Dual Xeon, Kernel 2.4.22 SMP (Fedora)

node1 and node2 mount there home directories over NFS from node3.
additionally node1 and node2 are keeping a mirror of their (NFS) data on
node on their local disk.

The whole thing is to be managed over heartbeat.
And I want to use DRBD for the mirroring.

My questions:
I saw that the 0.7 branch should work on kernel 2.6.
But would it be crazy to use this in a production environment?
And - will DRBD work on a 64bit system?

If the setup above is too risky I'll use rsync based replication for now.

Help and suggestions are highly appreciated.
And .. please don't hesitate to tell me if you think the whole
idea/setup is crap and why.

Thank's in advance

--
Daniel Khan