[DRBD-user] apt-getable binary module debs

Helmut Wollmersdorfer helmut.wollmersdorfer at gmx.at
Mon Jun 14 01:24:23 CEST 2004

David Krovich schrieb:
> You would just apt-get install the userspace tools,

kidding:

# apt-get install the userspace tools --dry-run
E: Couldn't find package userspace

> and apt-get
> install the binary module for whatever stock Debian kernel you have
> installed, and you're off to the races.

I think you mean:

# apt-get install drbd drbd-modules-<kernel-version>

> Please test out and send me feedback.

Tried it on a fresh sarge base-installation:
1) aptitude drbd-modules-2.4.26-1-386
a) the description is misleading, should be something like (changed from
  pcmcia-modules):

DRBD Modules for Linux (kernel 2.4.26). This package contains the set of
loadable kernel modules for the DRBD RAID 1 over TCP/IP. They have been
compiled to be compatible with the kernel in the kernel-image-2.4.26
package version 2.2.26-1. If you have compiled your own kernel, you will
most likely need to also recompile the DRBD modules. The drbd-source
package has been provided to help Debian users recompile the DRBD
modules to work with their kernels' configurations. (It also is possible
to rebuild these modules using the Debian source files for the drbd
package.) The utilities in the drbd package are required to use these
modules.

b) drbd is not installed automatically. Is this intended? If I look at
pcmcia-modules, there is a dependency on pcmcia-cs.

c) The corresponding kernel-image is not installed automatically. Make a
dependency on the kernel-image-<version>, see pcmcia-modules.

2) apt-get install drbd

3 ) aptitude kernel-image

4) reboot
Ok, drbd is complaining a little bit, because I didn't edit
/etc/drbd.conf, and the automatically installed, but unconfigured
heartbeat is chatting like an old woman.

5) modprobe drbd
ok.

> Lastly, I'm curious as to the state of DRBD in other distributions.
> Are there binary module packages available to install against stock
> RedHat and SUSE kernels for instance?

Don't know. I could not try out drbd-0.7 of Suse 9.1, because Yast needs
to install on one of the first 8 partitions of a harddisk, and these are
used on my test machine by other distries. Also it seems to have an old
partitioner, because it does not recognize the full 160 GB size. Better
try this out on an empty machine/harddisk, when I have time.

Helmut Wollmersdorfer