[DRBD-user] multiple resources on a harddisk

Tim Jackson lists at timj.co.uk
Fri Jun 4 15:46:19 CEST 2004

Hi Lars, on Fri, 4 Jun 2004 14:47:42 +0200 you wrote:

> > So, following on from that, I have a (probably common) situation: two
> > nodes, a limited number of physical disk slots and lots of services
> > which can run on either node. Each node can handle all the load on its
> > own, but as a simple kind of load sharing and to save one machine
> > sitting idle, would the below configuration work OK and with no worse
> > performance (as far as DRBD syncing speed is concerned) than having 1
> > big DRBD resource? It uses two DRBD resources on the same spindle, but
> > with different sync-groups:

<snip heartbeat/DRBD config with two resources, on different nodes by
default and with different sync-groups>

> yes, sure, as long as you do not forget to put in sync-max (and maybe
> sync-min) with some appropriate values, defaults to 250 K/sec!,

Yes, of course - I just omitted all the other parameters except the ones I
was actually talking about :)

> and put the sync-group in the net {} section, where it belongs,

Whoops, yes, that's what I meant ;)

Anyway, thanks for confirming that my understanding seems to be right.
DRBD/Heartbeat really is a powerful combination. Perhaps this would be a
useful example to put in some documentation (maybe an examples.txt)
somewhere? I know that there's nothing there which isn't already covered
in the documentation, but with things like this, lots of examples can help
to explain things even better (alongside the docs) and build confidence in
a user that they understand what's going on.

By the way, your help to myself and others on this list is very much
appreciated. Although the basic concepts of DRBD are fairly simple, and
the documentation is pretty good, the implementation details are where
doubts tend to appear and in systems like this we all naturally want to be
100% sure about what we're doing. Given that, and the fact that there only
seem to be a small number of people (you, Philipp, a few others maybe) who
understand DRBD inside out, then I'm sure it wouldn't have as many users
if it wasn't for your patient help in clearing up these issues and helping
with tweaking etc. I've learnt a lot just from reading other people's
problems and solutions. So thanks for your time!

Tim