[DRBD-user] heartbeat+nfs-server

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Fri Jun 4 15:32:50 CEST 2004

/ 2004-06-04 14:51:22 +0200
\ Bernd Broermann:
> Lars Ellenberg wrote:
> >/ 2004-06-04 01:18:57 +0200
> >\ Bernd Broermann:
> >
> >>Hallo ,
> >>
> >>I want correctly set up a HA-DRBD cluster , which serve data via nfs.
> >>
> >>I am using
> >>drbd 0.6.12-1
> >>heartbeat  1.0.4-1.woody.um.1
> >>nfs-kernel-server      1.0-2woody1
> >>on a 2.4.24 kernel based debian woody .
> >>
> >>All is working so far.
> >>When I gracefully stop Node1(master) with /etc/init.d/heartbeat stop ,
> >>Node2 ( slave ) is taking over, becomes primary and the nfs share is
> >>still available.
> >>Even when Node1 comes back, all is  working.
> >>
> >>When I poweroff Node1, Node2 is taking over as I want as well.
> >>But when Node1 comes back , heartbeat starts SyncAll from Node2 to Node1
> >>and stops NFS without waiting for for finishing the sync. Node1 starts
> >>nfs while secondary.
> >>
> >>One have to wait all the SyncAll time until can access the cluster.
> >>
> >>In my  /etc/ha.d/haresources there is on both nodes.
> >>node1  192.168.96.65 datadisk::drbd0 nfs-kernel-server
> >>
> >>How can I tell heartbeat to wait with shutting down the nfs-server on
> >>Node2 ( Wait to start the nfs server on Node1 ) ?
> >
> >this is one of the situations where drbd 0.6 is "misbehaving" ...
>
> Do you suggest to use drbd 0.7 insted ?

not in production untill we decided to "release" it.
still -pre, though in a pretty good shape meanwhile.

and though with 0.7, you can have a Primary be Sync Target, this is not
recommended, since if you then have a network hickup during resync, it
has no choice but panic...

so even with 0.7, I'd recommend to at bootup:

> >don't start heartbeat while drbd is resynching.
> >if you have proper order of start scripts, and proper settings in
> >drbd.conf (inittimeout=-0, NO skip-wait), and start drbd before you
> >start heartbeat, the drbd init script will "block" the boot process
> >until drbd has finished the resychronization. then heartbeat is started,
> >and can make its decision.
> >
> > or/and:
> >tell heartbeat to *not* automatically relocate
> >the services back to their "prefered" node.
> >see the heartbeat config option auto_failback resp. nice_failback.

	lge