[DRBD-user] creating /dev/nb0 problem

robert tom robert at estrell.com
Sat Jul 24 17:36:13 CEST 2004

Lars Marowsky-Bree <lmb at ...> writes:

> On 2004-07-24T14:03:50,
>    robert tom <robert at ...> said:
>
> > I copied it from my box and it was a dev instead of deb.
> > The whole step is not working out for me.
> > does /dev/hda2 needs to be an unmounted device first?
>
> DO NOT MOUNT THE UNDERLAYING BLOCK DEVICE DIRECTLY WHILE DRBD IS
> RUNNING.
>
> Does that answer the question? ;)
>
> Sincerely,
>     Lars Marowsky-Brée <lmb at ...>

okay I didn't mount the underlying block device while DRBD is running.
I was just trying to figure out why the dbdsetup /dev/nb0 disk meta-
disk=internal meta-index=0 /dev/hda3  is giving me the errors :
can not open /dev/nb0: No such device or address

Here is what I have:

linux fecora core 2.4.22-1.2197.nptl.

I was successful in installing drbd 0.7 without any problems.
Now I am trying to do the setup.

when I type df -h it shows as

/dev/hd3  81G  33M 76G 1% /datam

then I type this at the prompt

#dbdsetup /dev/nb0 disk meta-disk=internal meta-index=0 /dev/hda3
then it gives me the error

can not open /dev/nb0: No such device or address

I even did /dev/MAKEDEV nb0

and checked that /dev/nb0 was created and it was!

then I tried

#dbdsetup /dev/nb0 disk meta-disk=internal meta-index=0 /dev/hda3

gave me the same errors!!

what could be the problem?
robert