[DRBD-user] Upgrading 0.6.12 to 0.7.0

Andreas Schultz aschultz at tpip.net
Tue Jul 20 10:50:45 CEST 2004

On Tuesday 20 July 2004 07:30, Federico Sevilla III wrote:

[...]

> I have some questions I hope I can be helped finding answers for now
> that a tarball of DRBD 0.7.0 is available. Thank you in advance for the
> help. :)

[...]

>  - Can DRBD 0.6.12 installations be upgraded to DRBD 0.7.0 in place
>    without destroying the data? Has anyone upgraded a production system
>    running 0.6.12 to 0.7.0 (with Linux 2.4.26) and then redeployed it
>    successfully?

I have upgrade my test/development system to 2.6 to a drbd-0.7 cvs version
plus vserver devel patches some month ago.
Some of the older snapshots in cooperation with heartbeat and some quite
strange crashes and unexplained failovers managed to massively corrupt the
reiserfs based drbd partitions.
I'm currently in the process of testing the system with 2.6.8-rc2-bk1,
drdb-0.7 cvs current and vserver 1.9.2.5.

Upgrading 0.6.12 to 0.7.0 is not trivial. 0.7 needs storage for a metadata
bitmap. This can either be on a different partition or at the end of your
drbd volume. If you choose to use the inline version, YOU NEED TO SHRINK your
old filesystem by 128MB BEFORE upgrading.

Regards

Andreas

PS: my apologies to the list moderator for always using the wrong sender
address, i promise i'll try harder to use the right one in the future ;-)