[DRBD-user] Syncing two resources between two machines

James Doherty james at zeald.com
Fri Jul 16 04:57:40 CEST 2004

Hi guys,

I've been asked to set up DRBD for our database and fileserver. We have
MySQL running on the database server and NFS running on the fileserver.
Tools used for this are: mysql, nfs, drbd and heartbeat. The way it
needs to be set up is as follows:

The drbd device on the database server is to be sync'd to the
fileserver. If the database server fails, then the fileserver will
failover the ip of the database server and take over as the primary drbd
device for the database resource. The fileserver will now be running
both mysql and nfs.

If the opposite happens and the fileserver fails, then the database
server will failover the ip of the fileserver and it will be serving nfs
in addition to mysql.

I've got failover working fine for one drbd resource between these
machines. However adding a resource for the other machine adds a whole
new level of complexity. I've had trouble getting the individual
machines to come up as the primary machine for their resource and I'm
also not sure how I'd migrate a resource back in the case of one machine
failing and it being brought back up again.

Has anyone had to do this before? Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks
--
James Doherty
Network Admin