[DRBD-user] Slow syncall after kernel+drbd upgrade

Francis SOUYRI francis.souyri at apec.fr
Thu Jan 22 15:14:15 CET 2004

Christian

Christian Hammers wrote:

>On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 11:23:43AM +0100, Francis SOUYRI wrote:
>

>>>But the fact that I got much better values with dd and rsync *while*
>>>the syncall was in progress does not speak for a great influence.
>>>

>>dd and rsync do this: read from disk node1, network, write to MEMORY
>>node2 (buffer/cache).
>>drbd syncall with "Wire protocol: C" do this: read from disk node1,
>>network, write TO DISK node2.
>>
>>This is not equivalent.
>>

>Well, of course, I rsync a file from /tmp on the one server to /tmp
>on the other one which should be equivalent!

Your /tmp is a tmpfs, ramfs filesystem (memory filesystem) or a disk
filesystem ? If it is a disk filesystem the test of the dd/rsync and
drbd syncall with a "Wire protocol: C" is not equivalent, if you want to
do an equivalent test you can try a test with a "Wire protocol: B".

What is the filesystem of our drbd devices what is the block size ? for
the drbd device a 4k block size is better.

>>>I attached these.
>>>
>>>I did a throughput test with
>>>	dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/nb0/... bs=1M count=100
>>>on the master and got the following iostat values on the primary:
>>>Device:            tps   Blk_read/s   Blk_wrtn/s   Blk_read   Blk_wrtn
>>>dev8-0          300.00     54312.00       696.00      54312        696
>>>which is about 10x as fast as durinc syncall although it is replicated,
>>>too.
>>>

>>dd write to the drbd device (of=/mnt/nb0/...) but "iostat" display lot
>>of reads (Blk_read/s 54312.00) ?!?
>>

>Oups, this was the wrong cut&paste. I just tried it again and the
>numbers are at about 30000 Blk_wrtn/s on both sides.
>
>bye,
>
>-christian-

Bye,

Francis