[DRBD-user] warning: could not get sector size ... assuming 512

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Sun Feb 8 23:05:08 CET 2004

/ 2004-02-08 14:04:49 -0500
\ george young:
> [SuSE 8.2 x86 linux 2.4.24, Mylex eXtremeraid 2000(dac960) RAID 5,
>  drbd-0.6.10]
> Every time I start drbd I get:
>
>    BLKSSZGET: Invalid argument
>    datadisk: warning: could not get sector size of /dev/rd/c0d0p5, assuming 512
>
> for each drbd device.  Is there something wrong with my raid driver that
> isn't kernel block device api compliant?  [DAC960 driver version 2.4.11,
> 11 October 2001]

It seems your kernel driver does not support
the standard block device ioctl "BLKSSZGET".

> Should I specify sector size somehow in drbd.conf?  It works ok, but
> errors and warnings like this on my production server make me uneasy...

No problem here.  This is only a basic sanity check in the bash
script whether the disk-size you supplied might be valid or not.

If it bugs you, comment it out.
Actually you should get it only once when you change the drbd.conf
file, not every time you start it, since check_sanity() is only
called when drbd.conf is parsed, not when the "preparsed" version
of it is read. (I think).

As mentioned, the bash function is called check_sanity, and is
called only once in the drbd/datadisk script, so it should be very
easy to comment it out.

	Lars Ellenberg