[DRBD-user] System reboot when split brain occurs?

Paul Chen paulchen at qnap.com.tw
Wed Dec 29 10:54:23 CET 2004

Hi,

Does DRBD cause the system to reboot when a split brain occurs? Because whenever I made both node primary by using do-what-I-say option, the first primary node will reboot. If this is so, how does drbd determine which one to reboot? I'm not implying it is a bad thing, I just need to make sure.

if node1 is active and node2 is standby.

node1# hb_standby
node1# becomes standby.
node1# Tries to release the resources, but failed to umount /dev/drbd0. drbd still in primary state.
node2# becomes active.
node2# start drbd and force it to become primary by using --do-what-I-say.
node2# drbd becomes primary.
node1# reboot itself.

What risks will I be taking if I use --do-what-I-say to always make the partitions on Active node primary?

Thanks,

Paul Chen