[DRBD-user] drbd not coming up as primary on failover

Bernd Schubert bernd-schubert at web.de
Mon Dec 13 15:25:40 CET 2004

Hi John,

> Dec 12 14:12:02 fp3lb heartbeat: debug: Starting
> /etc/ha.d/resource.d/drbddisk drbd0 start

yeah, this should make drbd0 as primary.

> Dec 12 14:12:02 fp3lb heartbeat: debug: /etc/ha.d/resource.d/drbddisk
> drbd0 start done. RC=0
> Dec 12 14:12:02 fp3lb heartbeat: info: Running
> /etc/ha.d/resource.d/Filesystem /dev/drbd0 www xfs start
> Dec 12 14:12:02 fp3lb heartbeat: debug: Starting
> /etc/ha.d/resource.d/Filesystem /dev/drbd0 www xfs start
> Dec 12 14:12:02 fp3lb heartbeat: ERROR: Couldn't mount filesystem
> /dev/drbd0 on www

This looks pretty strange to me, is it really what you wanted? Anyway its not
important for you primary problem.

[snip]

> fp3la 128.1.245.240  16 drbddisk::drbd0 Filesystem::  dev  drbd0::
> www::xfs \
> drbddisk::drbd1 Filesystem::  dev  drbd1::  home::xfs \
> drbddisk::drbd2 Filesystem::  dev  drbd2::  share2::xfs \
> rcsmb rcnmb rcwinbind apachectl
> fp3lb

Er, as described in the header of the Filesystem script, the syntax for this
script is something like this:

Filesystem::/dev/sda1::/data1::ext2

(I didn't like the idea of Filesystem script at all, as it completely ignores
the fstab and so wrote an own script for mounting our filesystems.)

> I understand from reading the manual that drbddisk is the script that runs
> to configure drbd as primary.         What am I missing here or need to do
> so that machine-b will make itself primary?        Thanks for your help
> and insights.

Actually you are right, drbddisk should make the devices primary. Can you test
what happens if you switch down the network connection to machine-a and run
'/etc/ha.d/resource.d/drbddisk drbd0 start' manually? For those tests I would
also shut down hearbeat on machine-b, of course. The drbddisk script just
issues 'drbdadm primary drbd0', so you can also run this by yourself. I guess
this output will be more helpful.

Cheers,
 Bernd

--
Bernd Schubert
Physikalisch Chemisches Institut / Theoretische Chemie
e-mail: bernd.schubert at pci.uni-heidelberg.de