[DRBD-user] drbd strange error

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Mon Aug 2 15:49:27 CEST 2004

/ 2004-08-02 15:07:38 +0200
\ Horvath Szabolcs:
> Hello!
>
> We're installing a cluster with 2 nodes.
>
> By starting drbd from /etc/init.d (runlevel 2, normal startup):
> _sometimes_ (10 percent of all cases) it fails
> with the following error message:
>
> --->
> Starting DRBD resources: ioctl(,SET_DISK_CONFIG,) failed: Device or
> resource busy
> Command line was: '/sbin/drbdsetup /dev/nb0 disk /dev/hda5 internal -1
> --on-io-error=detach'
> drbdsetup exited with code 20
>
> Failed setting up  r0
> --->
>
> however, if I started manually a few seconds later
> (using /etc/init.d/drbd start), it works fine.
>

> Here is /etc/drbd.conf:

which ha nothing to do with it...
(maybe appart from the fact that meta-data is internal)

> We're using Debian Woody w/ drbd 0.7.0 and Linux 2.6.7 vanilla.
>
> Linux pollux 2.6.7 #8 Tue Jul 20 15:48:20 CEST 2004 i686 unknown

from reading the code there again,
we return BUSY for SET_DISK when
  - we already have a disk
  - we are currently diskless Primary
  - we are currently diskless, but already connected
  - we have an open_cnt > 1 on the device

in your case, we can exclude the first three.
that leaves "someone" has increased the open_cnt of this device,
i.e. someone (in addition to us) holds an open file descriptor on /dev/nb0.

maybe there happens some strange backgrounding of start scripts
in your setup, and some i-dont-know-autodetection process scans
devices while we are trying to set it up?
or any other idea?

	Lars Ellenberg