[Drbd-dev] UDP multicast transport

Philipp Reisner philipp.reisner at linbit.com
Fri Nov 8 15:11:56 CET 2013

> Hi there,
>
> Yes, I´m interested in making multicast protocol development, then I
> will study and define an algorithm.
>
> What I can do?
>
> Raúl

Hi Raúl,

We welcome such a contribution very much. We will help you
in the progress in answering questions and giving pointers.

But let me give you a warning as well:
 The DRBD code is complex, and kernel programming and debugging
 is hard. Plan for several month of your full attention for this task.
 If that is fine for you please read on.

* You need to base your work on the current drbd-9.0 development
  code.

* In case you are not used to GIT, make yourself familiar with this
  great tool. Understand what "rebase" means.

* Make yourself familiar with the DRBD code, make yourself familiar
  with using drbd-9.0 (deploy it in a least 3 virtual machines)

Then you may either do a
 a (prove of concept) first step, you may introduce UDP support
 as a new address family into the userland tools (drbdadm, drbdsetup).
 [Strictly speaking UDP is not a difference address family but a different
 socket type]

 Get that to work in a network without packet loss.

 Develop ideas of how to deal with packet loss...

 Last step: Actually do multicasting for sending data packets.

or have some completely other approach

You will actually need to keep your work in a dedicated branch that you
will need to rebase on the drbd-9.0 branch from time to time.

In case you work turns into something useful, we might be in the
position to merge your branch mid 2014.

Does this give you an idea?

PS: May I ask about your motivation for this effort?

Best,
 Phil