[Drbd-dev] DRBD8: Fencing and outdate-peer handler getting called multiple times

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Fri Nov 17 15:12:32 CET 2006

/ 2006-11-16 08:10:56 -0500
\ Montrose, Ernest:
> Phil,
> My outdate-peer handler simply says "echo /deve/drbd0: Running handler for outdate-peer >>/tmp/drbdio.log"
> And that log file is populated and created so I can only assume that did indicate success.
> In this case success being an exit status of 0.

and exactly that assumption is wrong.

in your kernel log you should find messages like
"outdate-peer helper broken, returned 0"

>   If the disk state of the peer is unknown, drbd calls this
>   handler (yes a call to userspace from kernel space). The handler's
>   returncodes are:
>
>   3 -> peer is inconsistent
>   4 -> peer is outdated (this handler outdated it) [ resource fencing ]
>   5 -> peer was down / unreachable
>   6 -> peer is primary
>   7 -> peer got stonithed [ node fencing ]

these are the only valid return codes.

"success" being defined as
  "was able to outdate the peer" respective
  "peer need not to be outdated"

--
: Lars Ellenberg                                  Tel +43-1-8178292-55 :