[Drbd-dev] 0.7.11 soon

Helmut Wollmersdorfer helmut at wollmersdorfer.at
Mon May 9 19:17:57 CEST 2005

Lars Ellenberg wrote:

> the SuSE drbd-0.7.4-whatever seems to be a 0.7.10+, too,
> with a downpatched version number...

> as a packager, if you do such things,
> you are lying to yourself and your customers,
> and ** I don't see any reason for that **.

10 days ago I saw DRBD "0.8" (whatever it really is) as part of SUSE 9.3.

I like to see the original version numbers in the distries, with an
attached minor (if necessary).

And I would like it more, if developers change the first digit in case
of major redesigns, the second digit for added features, the third digit
for bugfixes.

E.g. the upcoming DRBD 0.8 should better be something like 3.0.0,
0.8-alpha could be 3.0.1, 0.8-[beta|pre8] -> 3.0.8, first release of 0.8
-> 3.1.1 etc.

0.8 is understatement;-)

Just my 2 cents.

Helmut Wollmersdorfer