[Drbd-dev] Re: [john.cagle@hp.com: FW: device number request for drbd]

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg@linbit.com
Wed, 28 Jul 2004 20:45:40 +0200

/ 2004-07-28 19:56:09 +0200
\ Philipp Reisner:
> > You need to manually fix the application configuration files up, custom
> > scripts etc - for example, you forgot heartbeat's haresources, and if
> > someone is running raw device access to drbd w/ a database...
> >
> > This is _not_ a change we can push out. The major number _might_ be
> > changed, but the device path absolutely has to stay stable.
>
> Maybe
> for ((i=0;i<16;i++)); do mknod /dev/nb$i b 147 $i; done

> Currently you can not use NBD on a system on which DRBD is active.
> So creating the /dev/nbX with DRBD's major number in SuSE's upgrade
> path does not make anyhing worse...
>
> But it preserves the "application configuration files & custom scripts"
> compatibility...

I'd rather go for symlinks, if it really needs to be that way ...

> PS: Thx for pointing out that heartbeat's haresources file is missing
>     from the upgrade

it is for the Filesystem resource, right?
"mount: no such device" ... outch! :-/

anyways:
do we have consense to keep the major_nr module parameter?
maybe only allow two major numbers, NBD_MAJOR and LANANA_DRBD_MAJOR.
then the parameter is not "major_nr=%d", but rather "use_nbd_major" ...
and it should clearly be marked as deprecated in the description,
and be a little bit noisy on device registration :-)

	Lars