[DRBD-user] How to split network traffic on LINSTOR cluster

Yannis Milios yannis.milios at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 10:18:37 CEST 2018

Hello,

I've got some questions in regards to splitting/separating the DRBD network
traffic on a 3 node LINSTOR/PVE cluster.

Initially, both LINSTOR and DRBD traffic were using the "Default" network
(i.e 10.10.10.0/24), which was set during the initial cluster setup.
Now, I used 'linstor n i c' to create an additional interface, (i.e
nic10G), which is listening on network "10.10.20.0/24".
During the creation, I did *not* set the "-p" parameter for setting the
port for Satellite connections. So, currently the cluster looks like this...

+----------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Node            | NodeType   | Addresses                               |
State   |
|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| linstor-controller | CONTROLLER | 10.10.10.1:3376 (PLAIN)            |
Unknown |
| pve1            | COMBINED   | 10.10.10.2:3366 (PLAIN),10.10.20.1 |
Online  |
| pve2            | COMBINED   | 10.10.10.3:3366 (PLAIN),10.10.20.2  |
Online  |
| pve3            | COMBINED   | 10.10.10.4:3366 (PLAIN),10.10.20.3  |
Online  |
+----------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Then, I set "PrefNic" property for the two "storage-pools" on nodes pve1
and pve2 (pve3 is a Diskless node).
If I create a new VM, LINSTOR correctly sets the DRBD traffic to pass
through the new network (nic10G). I can verify this by observing DRBD
resource file for the newly created VM.

However, I'm not sure how to do the same on the existing VM/DRBD resources,
which still replicate over the "Default" network ? Do I need to remove/add
each resource, on each node,  or there is a smarter way to do it ?

Another thing that I noticed is that, the Diskless node (pve3), always
connects over the "Default" network, even on the newly created resources.
This probably makes sense, as the "PrefNic" can be set at the "storage
pool" level. As the "Diskless" node does not have one, then LINSTOR uses
the "Default"
network for it? Is there a way to configure a Diskless node to use the
"nic10G" interface (as Diskful nodes do) for the DRBD replication ?

The reason I did not set the "-p" parameter when I created "nic10G" net
interface, is because I want LINSTOR traffic to remain on "Default"
network, where the "DRBD" traffic to go through "nic10G".

Last question, does "linstor-controller" VM need to listen on both
"Default" and "nic10G" network ? Normally only "Default" net should be
needed, as that's the one configured for "Satellite" <-> "Controller"
communication. Am I right on this ?

Regards,
Yannis