[DRBD-user] About outdated and inconsistent state

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Tue Jun 5 17:30:36 CEST 2018

On 2018-06-05 04:23 AM, Roland Kammerer wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 05, 2018 at 01:07:48PM +0800, 唐宇奕 wrote:
>> Thanks for reply, my situation is we want to backup a git server
>> repository, is drbd enough?
>
> Hm, DRBD is not really a "backup solution", it perfectly replicates your
> mistakes live and in colors... But let's not be picky about wording.
>
> Putting my DRBD hat off, just pushing to a second git remote
> (manually/automatically) would work as well. Git obviously is good in
> being distributed...
>
> Regards, rck

Agreed; DRBD is a replication technology meant to protect against
hardware faults. Think of it like RAID level 1, but for a full machine.
You wouldn't use RAID 1 for backups. So DRBD is very useful, but it
scratches a different itch.

--
Digimer
"I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of