[DRBD-user] drbdmanage quorum control

Jason Fitzpatrick jayfitzpatrick at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 13:09:09 CEST 2017

Hi,

While I understand the risks associated with forcing a single node
online by using the re-elect options, I am currently documenting a
pre-prod cluster and have to document destructive testing and recovery
procedures.

The situation I am trying to validate would be one where we have a 3
node cluster which spans datacenters, and we have ended up in a
position where one datacenter is off the air which has in turn taken
out 2 nodes of the 3 node cluster, the remaining node has for what
ever reason crashed / restarted and we now need to get this node
online (post cleanup tasks will be captured as part of the docs)

I know that I can simply copy the content of /var/lib/drbd.d/ to
/etc/drbd.d/ do a quick rename and then use drbdadm to bring the
resources online, but since I am provisioning all my drbd resources
via drbdmanage I would like to be able to force this service online,

I have tried the drbdmanage reelect (and force-win) options but am
still unable to connect to the drbdmange process (This said I am able
to see all drbd resources using drbdadm status)

[root at node1 ~]# drbdmanage reelect --force-win
Operation completed successfully
unknown
[root at node1 ~]# drbdadm status
  .drbdctrl role:Primary
     volume:0 disk:UpToDate
     volume:1 disk:UpToDate
     node2.domain.name connection:Connecting
     node3.domain.name connection:Connecting

 resource-sda role:Secondary
     disk:UpToDate
     node2.domain.name connection:Connecting

[root at lpisscl0001 ~]# drbdmanage ping
pong
[root at node1 ~]# drbdmanage v
ERROR:dbus.proxies:Introspect error on :1.30:/interface:
dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did
not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application
did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the
reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was
broken.
Waiting for server: ...............
Error: Startup not successful (no quorum? not *both* nodes up in a 2
node cluster?)
No resources defined

So if I am correct the (completely unsupported / do so at your own
risk) process to force access to the drbdmanaged resources in the
event of loss of quorum for the drbdmanaged process would be

surviving node: node1
[root at node1 ~]# drbdmanage reelect --force-win
recover node2 / node3 from  DR procedure / backups

post reintroduction of additional nodes:
restart drbdmanaged process on node1 / reboot node1

Thanks

Jay