[DRBD-user] DRBD9 drbdadm complains about fencing being in wrong section

Thu Feb 18 12:01:02 CET 2016

On 18/02/2016 20:03, Roland Kammerer wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 10:37:58AM +1100, Igor Cicimov wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 8:18 PM, Roland Kammerer <roland.kammerer at linbit.com
>>> wrote:
>>> On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 04:20:12PM +1100, Igor Cicimov wrote:
>> Finally thanks for the drbdmanage pointer I'll do some research about it (I
>> think I saw some presentation of yours on the web). I don't see it
>> installed on my system (Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS) so guess it is not packaged
>> with drbd-utils but is a separate toll. I have a question though, since I
>> have done the config already manually, is the drbdmanage going to take over
>> based on already existing configuration or I will need to reconfigure
>> everything all over again?
> It is a separate package and not part of drbd-utils. AFAIR downstream
> Debian/Ubuntu did not pick it up yet. For Ubuntu there is a PPA if you
> want to try it:
>
> https://launchpad.net/~linbit/+archive/ubuntu/linbit-drbd9-stack
>
> Currently there is no importing of manually crafted res files. To me, it
> is actually very low on the feature list I care about. Depending on the
> size/time for resync/... it is probably the easiest if you start from
> scratch, but then it is really easy:
>
> node1-n:$ vgcreate drbdpool ...
> node1:$ drbdmanage init
> node1:$ drbdmange add-node node2 IP
> node1:$ drbdmange new-volume foo 10G --deploy 2
>
> http://drbd.linbit.com/users-guide-9.0/ch-admin-drbdmanage.html
>
> And you are done, lvm configured, DRBD on top of it.

While this really is very simple, and it looks awesome, the issue is
that most people will have existing data in existing drbd storage backed
by physical block devices. How do you propose this existing data can be
moved?

Based on what you have said above, I really only see one option:

node1-n:$ vgcreate drbdpool ...
node1:$ drbdmanage init
node1:$ drbdmange add-node node2 IP
node1:$ drbdmange new-volume foo 10G --deploy 2
node1:$ dd if=/dev/drbdY/0 of=/dev/drbdX/0
Where /dev/drbdY is the old DRBD device that is not handled by drbdmanage and drbdX is the new one...

Then adjust whatever utility is used to export the data to use the
/dev/drbdX/0 instead of the old device. This just seems awkward, slow,
and cumbersome.....

Is there any better solution?

Regards,
Adam