[DRBD-user] DRBD9 drbdadm complains about fencing being in wrong section

Roland Kammerer roland.kammerer at linbit.com
Thu Feb 18 12:29:49 CET 2016

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 10:01:02PM +1100, Adam Goryachev wrote:
> While this really is very simple, and it looks awesome, the issue is that
> most people will have existing data in existing drbd storage backed by
> physical block devices. How do you propose this existing data can be moved?
>
> Based on what you have said above, I really only see one option:
>
> node1-n:$ vgcreate drbdpool ...
> node1:$ drbdmanage init
> node1:$ drbdmange add-node node2 IP
> node1:$ drbdmange new-volume foo 10G --deploy 2
> node1:$ dd if=/dev/drbdY/0 of=/dev/drbdX/0
> Where /dev/drbdY is the old DRBD device that is not handled by drbdmanage and drbdX is the new one...
>
> Then adjust whatever utility is used to export the data to use the
> /dev/drbdX/0 instead of the old device. This just seems awkward, slow, and
> cumbersome.....
>
> Is there any better solution?

No, there is no "import oldstuff" whatsoever feature. dd, restore a
backup, what ever. That is the state of the art. It looks easy, but as
always there are 10^23 corner cases and if we implement this "import
magic", people expect it to work for their - I can't even imagine what
crazy DRBD setups are out there - configurations.

So again, it does not exist and I personally think if you jump to
DRBD9/drbdmanage land you have to deal with it, you are the admin that
knows your configuration best.

Regards, rck