[DRBD-user] Problem to use DRBD with LVM controlled by Pacemaker

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Tue Jul 3 21:20:25 CEST 2012

Hi,

maybe I do have some misunderstanding, but:

On 03.07.2012 19:33, Florian Haas wrote:
> The very notion that we're "activating" a whole VG made Alasdair
> cringe last time I talked to him, and rightly so, because it's not
> meaningful as only LVs can really be "active" or "inactive". Of
> course, LVM's own management tools do the same, and they of course
> can't distinguish either between a VG that has been deactivated as a
> whole, and a VG that has had all of its LVs deactivated one by one. So
> I guess we're stuck. Unless someone wants to entertain the idea of
> replacing this RA with one that manages individual LVs, which to me
> sounds just as silly.

Suppose I want to switch a vg from usage on machine A to machine B (via
underlying drbd/iscsi/whatever and without clvm/dual-primary). From my
understanding of lvm I would either have to deactivate caching of the
meta-data (sounds unclean) or export/import the vg. The later is the
same as I do when moving a physical disk with its vg between machines
while these are online.

So shouldn't the process inside the pacemaker stack be:
 [up] import vg
 [up] (if needed) activate the lvs in it
 [up] mount the filesystems, start the iscsi-exports, start the virtual
machines
 [Use the volumes]
 [down] stop usage of the volumes (unmount, unexport, vm shutdown)
 [down] (if needed) deactivate the lvs
 [down] export the vg

So the RA wouldn't "activate" a vg but import/export it?

Have fun,

Arnold
--
Dieses Email wurde elektronisch erstellt und ist ohne handschriftliche
Unterschrift gültig.