[DRBD-user] Problem to use DRBD with LVM controlled by Pacemaker

Florian Haas florian at hastexo.com
Tue Jul 3 19:33:00 CEST 2012

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 4:17 PM, Lars Marowsky-Bree <lmb at suse.com> wrote:
> On 2012-06-29T11:23:09, Phil Frost <phil at macprofessionals.com> wrote:
>
>> >Jun 29 12:34:53 ss2 LVM[2386]: INFO: 0 logical volume(s) in volume
>> >group "storage" now active
>> Looks like your problem is right there. The LVM RA considers
>> starting the VG as failed if the VG doesn't contain any LVs.
>
> I really wish someone had a good idea how to improve this in the RA, by
> the way. I still haven't found a good solution.

The very notion that we're "activating" a whole VG made Alasdair
cringe last time I talked to him, and rightly so, because it's not
meaningful as only LVs can really be "active" or "inactive". Of
course, LVM's own management tools do the same, and they of course
can't distinguish either between a VG that has been deactivated as a
whole, and a VG that has had all of its LVs deactivated one by one. So
I guess we're stuck. Unless someone wants to entertain the idea of
replacing this RA with one that manages individual LVs, which to me
sounds just as silly.

Florian