[DRBD-user] Still experiencing resource spikes

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Wed Dec 19 14:12:24 CET 2012

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 02:08:32PM +1100, Adam Goryachev wrote:
> On 19/12/12 01:19, Prater, James K. wrote:
> > Hello Andreas,
> >
> > Thanks for responding, below is a section of my current sysctl.conf file.   As you can
> > see that I used the alternative parameters that you had sent me.  The resource spikes
> > vary from 18-24 hours apart.   The odd thing is that it sometimes occurs when the system
> > is just idling i.e. 5-18Mbytes a second.

Then it likely is caused by something completely different...

> > #
> > # Kernel tweaks to close the gap between the buffercache and DRBD DIO to remote store.
> > #
> > vm.swappiness = 10
> > vm.zone_reclaim_mode = 1
> > vm.dirty_background_ratio = 1
> > vm.dirty_ratio = 1
> > vm.dirty_expire_centisecs = 300
> > vm.dirty_writeback_centisecs = 60
> > vm.vfs_cache_pressure = 40
> >
> > The settings forces the delta between data coming into the file server and data being set to the peer to be
> > 1-3 seconds as opposed to nearly 25seconds.
> >

> Shouldn't these two values be different:
>
> vm.dirty_background_ratio = 1
> vm.dirty_ratio = 1
>
> ie, vm.dirty_ratio should be higher than vm.dirty_background_ratio.

Not necessarily.
The other way around (ratio smaller than background_ratio) can be
beneficial as well, e.g. if you expect mostly streaming writers.
Though I admit that using the same value for both is not very useful.

Depends very much on the expected workload.
(Same goes for the _centisecs: tuning up rather
than down may help as well... it depends...)

Also, please use *_bytes (not _ratio) ((unless you have an old kernel
that does not yet know about *_bytes)), because even 1 percent of 120 G
is a bit much for many storage backends.

--
: Lars Ellenberg