[DRBD-user] Stale NFS file handle problem

Nick Morrison nick at nick.on.net
Thu Nov 3 08:33:32 CET 2011

Wish I could help, but I just stopped trying to solve a very similar problem.  Part of my design issue was (I believe) that I was mounting the NFS shares from the NFS servers themselves.. the idea was that on my two servers, I would always have access to /data/share, which was nfs-mounted from the floating IP, so the server could also be the client. That broke frustratingly (many zombie processes, much hair lost) and I eventually decided to go with a less exciting active/passive, shutdown-to-migrate-your-vm solution.

My NFS-fu was weak.  But this solution is simpler and less prone to zombies attacks.

Where are you mounting your exports from?  A third machine?  FWIW, I had THAT working just fine.  I did quite a bit of testing with reading and writing large files, and reading and writing many little files, and so on, whilst doing the switchover, and it seemed to work well.  I followed probably the exact same HOWTOs you did - the linode library one was memorable.  As long as I wasn't making my machines be both nfs-servers AND nfs-clients, it was smooth.

I got some value out of running all this testing inside virtual machines - made it easier to reboot/restore/start-from-scratch when it all went wrong.