[DRBD-user] Alternative to 'yes' to abort waiting?

Felix Frank ff at mpexnet.de
Tue May 31 16:18:49 CEST 2011

On 05/31/2011 04:03 PM, Whit Blauvelt wrote:
> On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 09:51:15AM +0200, Felix Frank wrote:
>>> Does "X-Start-Before" mean start this before these, or start these before
>>> this? Ubuntu as a Debian should obey this LSB stuff. But
>>
>> Careful - you're agitating the Debian crowd ;-)
>>
>> I wouldn't be so quick to assume that Ubuntu does these things in the
>> exact Debian way.
>
> Sure, wouldn't be surprised if it's Ubuntu breakage. My question is real
> though. Does "X-Start-Before" mean "start before," so that DRBD's init.d
> file is insisting it be started before heartbeat? Or does the "X" negate the
> meaning, so that "X-Start-Before" means start after? On the one hand, yes

AFAIK, there is no such thing as "Start-Before" in LSB tag lingo. I
assume that the X- (as in HTTP headers) marks a nonstandard extension.

> heartbeat should start DRBD; I did this wrong even having DRBD's init.d
> script active. On the other, if both are being started, heartbeat should
> start first, in which case if heartbeat starts DRBD it will get that done
> ... and the DRBD init.d, if triggered, will just fail since it's already
> started.

Not quite. Heartbeat will usually take some time itself before it
launches any processes (configurably), so you really want init to not
run your HA services.

> Okay, I can cycle power from remote all I like. The problem is the
> SuperMicro IPMI has Java Web applets for SOL - which handles the BIOS end of
> the thing, and for Console Redirection - which presents the boot process ...
> BUT ... the boot process as shown through Console Redirection shows up a bit
> late in that process visually, and apparently the keyboard isn't active
> either until then (I've tried, repeatedly), so there's no effective way to
> get grub to boot into anything else.

OK, that just sucks.

>> Also, what would (in your eyes) be wrong about configuring a wait
>> timeout and then just leave DRBD "running"? It sure won't break anything.
>
> Sure, I should configure a wait timeout. But what's wrong in my tired eyes
> is drbdadmin, when called from an init.d script at least, by default running
> forever waiting for the connection. As we see here, in some situations that

I can sympathize with this notion. Although it's never bitten me myself,
I can see how it can be potentially harmful.

But then, we have to find an answer to "what's a sensible default?".

Anyway, there's apparently no solution for the problem at hand. Sorry.

Regards,
Felix