[DRBD-user] Could you please recommend hardware?

Digimer linux at alteeve.com
Wed Dec 28 18:02:37 CET 2011

On 12/28/2011 06:39 AM, kankamuso wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to implement a new DRBD solution to one customer. The problem
> is that I don't know what hardware to acquire for an enterprise architecture
> that is compatible with Linux.
>
> I would like something from HP, Dell, etc.. (recognized mark):
>
> - At least 2 TB.
> - Hardware RAID.
> - Hot swappable disks.
> - As much expansion bays as possible.
>
> We have 12000 euros available for each server (we want two). We have been
> having a look at automatic-failover + replication NAs but no luck yet...
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jose.

This is a near-religious question, you do realize. :)

When clients have healthy budgets, I go for HP Proliant ML360/365 G7
(Intel/AMD). Any tier 1 vendor will over-charge you for storage, I've
found. Your requirements are modest and your budget is healthy, so you
should be fine.

Regardless of who you go with, be sure to get a good RAID controller
with either BBWC or FBWC (battery or flash backed write cache). Stick as
much cache onto the controllers as you can afford (1GB at least).

If you expect your disk I/O to exceed a sustainable 125 GB/sec, you will
want to look at 10 Gbit NICs for DRBD. Regardless, I've found it a
worthy investment to have dedicated, bonded (mode=1 Active/Passive)
interfaces dedicated to DRBD and a separate network connection for other
traffic.

hth

--
Digimer
E-Mail:              digimer at alteeve.com
Freenode handle:     digimer
Papers and Projects: http://alteeve.com
"omg my singularity battery is dead again.
stupid hawking radiation." - epitron