[DRBD-user] Could you please recommend hardware?

Pascal BERTON pascal.berton3 at free.fr
Wed Dec 28 19:21:58 CET 2011

Hi, Kankamuso!

Following up Digimer's reply, at HP the Proliant DL180g6 is also a good
model I think : It's available in 25 hot-plug 2,5" HDD slots (or 4, 8 or 12
3.5" slots, but I personnaly prefer the 25 slot version). It's a 2 way Intel
server, able to host up to 192GB RAM. One of its best features is its
chipset : the same as the one of the DL380, aimed at IOs, which makes it a
good candidate for what you intend to achieve. It features 4 PCI-e I/O slots
in standard : one 16x, two 8x and one 4x. Enough for instance to host a
SmartArray P812 RAID card with 1Gb BBWC, one dual ported 10GbE card for
replication (There are 2 internal GbE ports in standard), and whatever you
need for something else : FC HBA, additional GbE ports or another P812.
It's one of the cheapest HP servers, it will certainly cost below $10k for a
comfortable configuration... Well, depends on how many disks you actually
need those days...

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Pascal?