[DRBD-user] DRBD-user - your disk lockups at end May

Matthias Weigel matthias.weigel at maweos.de
Mon Sep 13 19:48:56 CEST 2010

Mike Harvey schrieb:

>     Matthias,
>
>     you detailed at the end of May how your disks were causing
>     your system to hang:
>

> OS is Redhat 5 x86_64, Kernel 2.6.18-164.6.1.el5,
> Hardware is IBM x3250,
> Controller:  LSI Logic / Symbios Logic SAS1064ET PCI-Express Fusion-MPT
> SAS (rev 02)
> 2 Disks:  IBM-ESXS Model: ST3300655SS      Rev: BA26
>
>     Sadly I can see NO resolution to that. How did you "fix" it?
>
>     Thanks, MikeH

Hi Mike,

it was a nasty hardware problem. IBM Service changed the System board
two times and the controller three times until they finally got the
system working again. It took them 7 days despite the servers "next
business day" contract. Also included was a lot of finger pointing.

The problem was very hard to diagnose. IBM diagnostic software
apparently only runs in DOS mode. But the problem was probably only
present in 32bit mode access. So the diagnostic software showed
everything o.k. But if you started to actually use the system, it would
lock up.
The problem was even worse with Windows (using BartPE-Windows bootable
CD-ROM).

However this system now runs like a charm since then.

Best Regards

Matthias