[DRBD-user] drbd-8.3.7rc2.tar.gz

Florian Haas florian.haas at linbit.com
Mon Jan 11 10:14:08 CET 2010

On 2010-01-08 23:56, Ante Karamatić wrote:
> On 07.01.2010 13:50, Philipp Reisner wrote:
>
>> The second release candidate of 8.3.7 is intended to be the least RC.
>
> Am I missing something in the build process? By default, when
> configured, prefix is /usr/local. Yet, files get installed even in
> /sbin/. Example:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/tmp/DRBD
> make
> make install
>
> and the problem:
>
> make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/drbd-8.3.7rc2/user'
> install -d //sbin/
>
> in user/Makefile.in, there's:
>
> install -d $(DESTDIR)/sbin/
>
> while DESTDIR is defined as:
>
> DESTDIR ?= /

Yes, this is legacy stuff. We have the userland binary paths hardcoded
to /sbin for historical reasons; I'll spare you of the details. The
correct thing to do would be to use $(sbindir) which defaults to
/usr/local/sbin, and then override with ./configure --sbindir=/sbin in
packaging. We'll fix this for 8.3.8.

 > So, prefix is ignored and DESTDIR can be overridden by:
>
> DESTDIR=/tmp/DRBD make install
>
> that creates /tmp/DRBD with arch dependent files and /tmp/DRBD/tmp/DRBD
> with arch independent files.

Huh? Explain please.

Florian