[DRBD-user] xen domU failes to boot from drbd device

Simon Billis simon at houxou.com
Mon Aug 9 17:19:50 CEST 2010

Hi All,

I'm running drbd83 Centos 5.5 Xen3.4.3

I've run into some issues with attempting to use drbd to hold the DomU block
device. If I use in the xen config drbd:resource instead of phy:resource
then I am unable to boot the domU. Any ideas why?

I have found that if I manually set the drbd resource to primary and  use
the phy:resource syntax in the xen config then all works as one would expect
(i.e. flawlessly :-) ) except that I am unable to use the live migration
capabilities without manual intervention. i.e. on the secondary promoting it
to primary, then issuing a live migration command from the primary, waiting
for it to complete then demoting the primary to secondary. My understanding
was that there is a helper script that is in /etc/xen/scripts called
block-drbd* that should handle this and should also handle the booting of a
domU. Have I missed something?

Thanks

Simon.