[DRBD-user] LVM PV on drbd block device

hans morbus2000 morbus2000 at web.de
Fri Nov 13 10:32:33 CET 2009

> -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
> Von: "Juan Antonio Rodriguez" <pushakk at limbo.ari.es>
> Gesendet: 12.11.09 20:58:47
> An: Gianluca Cecchi <gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com>
> CC: drbd-user at lists.linbit.com
> Betreff: Re: [DRBD-user] LVM PV on drbd block device

Hello and thank you very much to yours Gianluca and Andreas.

> which kind of cluster?
> Only Primary - Secondary drbd cluster.
>
> which kind of Linux distribution/release?
> Debian lenny in both nodes.
>
> which kind of usage then of the LVs/FS to be created?
> LVs will be iscsi targets for a xen server.
>
> I believe clvm will be useful.
>
> Again, thank you very much Gianluca.
>
> Gianluca Cecchi escribió:
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 4:49 PM, hans morbus2000 <morbus2000 at web.de>
> wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > Hello everyone, the first sorry about my poor english.
> >
> > I have configured an drbd8 cluster with two nodes so I have got a
> > /dev/drbd1 device in both nodes. Later I sync the nodes with "
> drbdadm --
> > --overwrite-data-of-peer primary" and the last I did "pvcreate /dev/
> drbd1"
> > on primary node.
> >
> [snip]
> on this node
> # vgchange -a n vgontop
> # drbdadm secondary drbdx
>
> on the other node
> # drbdadm primary drbdx
> # vgchange -a y vgontop
>
> --> now, lv on top of drbd to be available on both nodes
>
> Regards
> Andreas
>
> For Juan Antonio:
> which kind of cluster?
> which kind of Linux distribution/release?
> which kind of usage then of the LVs/FS to be created?
>
> For Andreas:
> this is ok for initialization.
> But then you have the same problems when you have to create LVs.
> You need to de-activate VG on one node, demote drbd role, and
> activate on the other... because LVM itslef is not cluster aware.
>
> Preferable, but depending also on the OS kind and licensing, to use
> drbd in dual primary mode AND Cluster LVM (with CLVMD that depends on
> cman and cluster-storage channel if using Red Hat, so with economical
> impact....)
>
> Gianluca

hi,
I use two nodes with SLES10 SP2 full pached
DRBD 8.2.6 primary / primary on it
we use an OCFS2 on LV on top of DRBD for XEN DomUŽs

for Gianluca
you are right, when I create an other LV on top of DRBD,
I need de-activate VG on the first node an activate on the other node.
after that I can change to primary / primary mode.

Regards
Andreas