[DRBD-user] Need help with automatic split-brain recovery

Tobias Appel tappel at eso.org
Fri Jan 23 16:14:01 CET 2009

Hi everyone,

I'm running RHEL5 and installed the following drbd packages:

drbd.i386                                8.0.14-23.el5
drbd-kmdl-2.6.18-92.1.22.el5.i686        8.0.14-23.el5
drbd-kmdl-2.6.18-92.1.22.el5PAE.i686     8.0.14-23.el5

I'm using heartbeat and configured DRBD as master/slave resource (but
this is not really the important part). I hit the reset button on the
primary node currently running DRBD, heartbeat did the failover
correctly but when the node came back a split-brain was detected and
when I do cat /proc/drbd now it says:

 cs:StandAlone st:Secondary/Unknown ds:UpToDate/DUnknown   r---

Weird thing is, I have configured automatic split-brain recovery in my
drbd.conf and I thought this was ok, this is a part of my drbd.conf:

net {
timeout 60;
connect-int 10;
ping-int 10;
max-epoch-size 2048;
max-buffers 2048;
after-sb-0pri discard-younger-primary;
after-sb-1pri consensus;
after-sb-2pri disconnect;
}

I also have a handler configured like this:

handlers {
split-brain "/usr/lib/drbd/notify.sh tappel at eso.org";
}

I downloaded the notify.sh manually and put it there since it did not
came with my rpm (from the dag repository for rhel5).
I received two emails, but somehow it seems DRBD did not see this as a
split-brain because the messages says the following:

DRBD on nagios2 was configured to launch a notification handler
for resource r0,
but no specific notification event was set.
This is most likely due to DRBD misconfiguration.
Please check your configuration file (usually /etc/drbd.conf).

Now what did I do wrong in my configuration file?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Tobi